"WHEPSTEAD, a parish in the hundred of Thingoe, county Suffolk, 4 miles S.W. of Bury St. Edmund's. The village formerly belonged to Bury Abbey, but at the Dissolution was given to the Drury family, and subsequently passed to General Sir Thomas Hammond, of Plumpton House. The parish includes the hamlets of Mickley Green, Melon Green, and Stone Cross Green. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £470. The church has a painted E. window. The register commences with the year 1538. There is a school, founded and endowed by Thomas Sparke in 1721. The local charities, including the school endowment and £40 from the church estate, produce about £80 per annum. Sir W. Foster is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)