"WHITTON-CUM-THURLSTON, a parish in the hundred of Bosmere, county Suffolk, 2 miles N.W. of Ipswich, within which borough it is included, and 1 mile N.E. of the Bramford railway station on the Great Eastern line. The Stow-Market and Ipswich navigation passes through the parish, which includes the hamlet of Thurlston. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich, value £250, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt in 1852. The old church of Thurlston is now used as a barn."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)