"WICKHAM SKEITH, a parish in the hundred of Hartismere, county Suffolk, 3 miles N.E. of Finningham railway station, and 5 S.W. of Eye. The Hall, rebuilt in 1846, is now the residence of the Rev. C. Garrard. who is lord of the manor. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. The parochial register dates from 1682. There is a village school. The charities, consisting chiefly of the town estate, produce £20 per annum. Many coins of Harold and Edward the Confessor were some years ago found on Wizard Farm, and are deposited in the British Museum."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcripts of the Wickham Skeith PR baptisms, marriages, and burials for 1813-1900 have been made available by David Weston & Peter Davidson. Peter is the Wickham Skeith Local History Recorder.
These transcripts are for personal use only, permission for any commercial use must be obtained from David Weston or Peter J. Davidson.
The transcripts were produced and made available for such distribution with the consent of the Wickham Skeith Parochial Church Council as indicated in the Council Minutes for19 Jan 2000. David Weston created the initial transcripts from a microfiche copy of the original. Peter Davidson then cross-checked the initial transcript against the original books and/or photocopies. Please notify either David or Peter of any transcription errors or missed entries from the original PRs.
1. Abbreviated given names have been expanded (e.g. Thos: to Thomas) but otherwise the spellings of personal & place names have been reproduced as in the original registers.
2. Old style dates have been retained before 1752, but with the New Year beginning on January 1st.
3. There is a major problem from about 1769 to 1773 with confused dating in the register. The Bishops transcripts are only available for 1769/70, but using these and the separate marriage register (which duplicates entries in the main register) a best guess has been made at the correct dates. However, the dates in this period should be used with caution and may be 1 or 2 years out.
4. A contemporary (churchwarden's?) copy of the register survives for 1791-1799. For many of the births a father is recorded who does not appear in the main register. These have been added in the comments column.