"WISSINGTON, (or Wiston), a parish in the hundred of Babergh, county Suffolk, 7 miles N.W. of Colchester, and 1 mile S.W. of Nayland. The village is situated at the bridge on the river Stour, which bounds the parish on the S. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £300, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Mary.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)