"WITNESHAM, a parish in the hundred of Carlford, county Suffolk, 4 miles N.E. of Ipswich, near the head of the Fynn, a branch of the river Deben. The soil is generally a stiff loam, with sand and clay pits in various parts. The Meadows family, ancestors of Earl Manvers, have had a seat here since the reign of Richard III. The rectory was once held by Bishop Latimer. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich, value £500, in the patronage of St. Peter's College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The register commences in 1531. The Baptists have a chapel. There are National schools. J. W. Woodham, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)