"WOOLVERSTONE, a parish in the hundred of Samford, county Suffolk, 4½ miles S.E. of Ipswich. The village is situated on the western bank of the navigable river Orwell, about 7 miles from its mouth. The principal residence is Woolverstone Park, the seat of John Berners, Esq., who is lord of the manor and owner of the whole of the soil. The mansion contains a collection of paintings, and in the grounds, which slope down to the river, is a square obelisk 96 feet high, of freestone, to the memory of the late William Berners. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich, consolidated with the rectory of Erwarton. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, has been recently restored. The register commences in 1528. There is a parochial school, built in 1832."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)