"WRENTHAM, a parish in the hundred of Blything, county Suffolk, 5 miles N.W. of Southwold, 8 S.E. of Beccles, and 3 N.E. of Wrongford, on the road from London to Yarmouth. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £586. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, was repaired in 1831 and in 1853. In the interior are an organ presented by the late rector, a painted window by Hardman, representing the Ascension, some modern tesselated pavement, and two brasses, date 1400. The charities produce about £55 per annum. The Independents and Wesleyans have chapels. There are National, infant, and Foreign and British schools. William Wotton was born here in 1666."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Wrentham:
- URC, Chapel Road, Congregational
- St Nicholas, Chapel Road-B1127, Church of England
- Chapel, High Street, Primitive Methodist
- Chapel, The Old Chapel-Waterloo Road-Wrentham West End, Wesleyan Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Wrentham area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Wrentham has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.