"YAXLEY, a parish in the hundred of Hartismere, county Suffolk, 1½ mile W. of Eye, 4 miles S. of Diss, and 1¼ mile E. of Mellis railway station. The village is situated on the Roman way to Caistor. The principal residence is Yaxley Hall. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Norwich, value £150, with 36 acres of glebe. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains a carved oak pulpit, stalls, painted window, several monuments, and a brass of A. Felgate, date 1596. The register commences in 1620. The charities produce about £45 per annum. Sir E. C. Kerrison, Bart., M.P., is lord of the manor, and with Lord Henniker, principal landowner."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Yaxley:
- Details of the administrative areas of which Yaxley has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.