"ABBOT'S LEIGH, a parish in the hundred of Portbury, union of Bedminster, in the county of Somerset, 3 miles N.W. of Bristol, and 120 from London by the Great Western railway. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester, value £77, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church, which was formerly much decayed, has been lately restored by P. Miles, Esq., M.P., of Leigh Court, who has a fine picture gallery. The village, which commands a view of the Bristol Channel, is situated on the river Avon, near Rownham Ferry, and was formerly the property of St. Augustine's-Abbey."
"LEIGH COURT, a seat in the parish of Abbot's Leigh, hundred of Portbury, county Somerset, 2 miles N.W. of Bristol. It is situated in a wooded spot, near Rownham Ferry, on the banks of the Avon, and was the hiding-place of Charles II. in 1651. In 1844 the old seat was rebuilt by P. Miles, Esq., M.P. It is particularly celebrated for its picture gallery, which contains a collection of the ancient masters, including Rubens' "Conversion of St. Paul," De Vinci's "Salvator Mundi," Murillo's "St. Andrew," besides some of the choicest productions of Claude, Poussin, Titian, &c."