GENUKI Home page
Ashcott Ashcott     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - Ashcott

"ASHCOTT, a parish in the hundred of Whitley, in the county of Somerset, 8 miles to the E. of Bridgwater. It is a station on the Glastonbury branch of the Bristol and Exeter railway. It was formerly a possession of the Abbey of Glastonbury. It contains the hamlet of Pedwell. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Shapwick, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church is dedicated to All Saints. There is a chapel belonging to the Wesleyan Methodists. The poor of the parish have the benefit of an endowment of £70 a year, bequeathed by Richard Mills."

"PEDWELL, a hamlet in the parish of Ashcott, county Somerset, 7 miles E. of Bridgwater."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]