GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places


"ASHCOTT, a parish in the hundred of Whitley, in the county of Somerset, 8 miles to the E. of Bridgwater. It is a station on the Glastonbury branch of the Bristol and Exeter railway. It was formerly a possession of the Abbey of Glastonbury. It contains the hamlet of Pedwell. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Shapwick, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church is dedicated to All Saints. There is a chapel belonging to the Wesleyan Methodists. The poor of the parish have the benefit of an endowment of £70 a year, bequeathed by Richard Mills." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries


References in the British Library:



Find help, report problems, or contribute information

Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 30th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.