GENUKI Home page
Babcary Babcary     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - Babcary

"BABCARY, a parish in the hundred of Catsash, in the county of Somerset, 4 miles to the N.E. of Ilchester. Somerton is its post town. It is watered by the small river Cary, a feeder of the Parrot, and contains the hamlets of Farringdon and Steart. The stream gives name to this and several other villages. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, of the value of £450, in the patronage of the Rev. W. H. Twemlow, rector. The church is dedicated to the Holy Cross."

"HIGHER and LOWER FARRINGDON, hamlets in the parish of Babcary, hundred of Catsash, county Somerset, 4 miles S.W. of Castle-Cary.

"STEART, a hamlet in the parish of Babcary, county Somerset, 5 miles S.W. of Castle Cary."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]