We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

National Gazetteer (1868) - Backwell

"BACKWELL, a parish in the hundred of Hartcliffe, in the county of Somerset, 7 miles to the S.W. of Bristol, its post town. It is situated in a hilly and picturesque country, not far from the coast of the Bristol Channel. The Bristol and Exeter railway passes near the village. Included in the parish are the hamlets of Church Town, Downside, Farley, Moorside, and West Town. There are extensive collieries, and some stone quarries in the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage and sinecure rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells, the former, being of the value of £144, is in the patronage of Mrs. Uniacke, the latter, of £253, is in the gift of the Marquis of Bath, and is at present held by Lord J. Thynne. The tower of the church is very handsome, and is crowned with a parapet and rich pinnacles. The church has monuments of the Rodneys, and is dedicated to St. Andrew. There are some charities of small amount. A cattle fair is held on the 1st September."

"DOWNSIDE, a hamlet in the parish of Backwell, in the county of Somerset, 7 miles S.W. of Bristol."

"FARLEY, a hamlet in the parish of Backwell, county Somerset, 6 miles S.W. of Bristol. The Great Western railway passes near here. Farley Castle is the principal residence."

"MOORSIDE, a hamlet in the parish of Backwell, county Somerset, 6 miles S.W. of Bristol."

"WEST TOWN, a hamlet in the parish of Backwell, county Somerset, 6 miles S.W. of Bristol."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
We are looking for somebody who can help with the maintenance of this page, which currently has a status of Pending - The section is active and has a maintainer assigned but a replacement maintainer is being sought. For more information about what helping us entails, look at our help wanted page. If you would like to consider helping us then please contact Malcolm Daniels.