GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Barrow Gurney

"BARROW-GURNEY, a parish in the hundred of Hartcliffe-with-Bedminster, in the county of Somerset, 5 miles to the W. of Bristol. A Benedictine nunnery was established here about the commencement of the 13th century by one of the Fitz-Hardinges, to whom the manor belonged At the Dissolution its value was £31. It was granted by Henry VIII. to John Drew, of Bristol, who converted it into a private mansion. The house has been little altered since, and contains some interesting decorations and family portraits. It is now called Barrow Court, and is the seat of the Gores, in whose family it has been since 1659. The living is a donative in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £71, in the patronage of J. H. Blagrave, Esq. The church has monuments of the Gores, and is dedicated to the Holy Trinity." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Church Records

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 30th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.