Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Bathford
"BATHFORD, a parish in the hundred of Bath Forum, in the county of Somerset, 4 miles to the E. of Bath. It is situated in a pleasant spot on the river Avon on the border of Wiltshire, and includes the hamlets of Stockerwick and Warley. The Great Western railway passes near the village. The paper manufacture is carried on here. The living is a vicarage*, consolidated with that of Bathampton, in the diocese of Bath and Wells, of the value of £395, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is dedicated to St. Swithin. Some interesting Roman remains have been found in the parish, including a hypocaust, or hot air chamber, an altar, urns, and coins. The river was formerly crossed by a ford here."
"SHOCKERWICK, a hamlet in the parish of Bathford, county Somerset, 4 miles N.E. of Bath. It is situated on the Great Western railway, and belonged to Adam de Socherwiche, in 1165, and afterwards came to the Husseys."
"WARLEY, a hamlet in the parish of Bathford, county Somerset, 3 miles E. of Battle. In the vicinity is Warley Castle, where part of a Roman pillar was discovered."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]