GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Bishops Lydeard

"BISHOP'S LYDEARD, a parish in the western division of the hundred of Kingsbury, in the county of Somerset, 5 miles to the N.W. of Taunton, its post town. It is a station on the Taunton and Watchet Branch of the Great Western railway. It lies near the west foot of the Quantock hills, and contains the hamlet of Kenley Bottom, and the tythings of Coomb's Ash, East Bagborough, East Coomb, and several others. The living is a vicarage * in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £120, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The charitable endowments, consisting chiefly of the revenue of the almshouses, amount to £156 per annum." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Church Records

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2005
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 2nd February 2014 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.