Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Brimpton
"BRIMPTON, a parish in the hundred of Stone, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles to the W. of Yeovillage Alvington and Houndstone are hamlets of this parish The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, of the value of £170, in the patronage of Mrs. Morris. The church, which is dedicated to St. Andrew, contains monuments of Sir John Sydenham, Bart., who died in 1626, and of other members of the same family, to whom the manor once belonged. The principal mansion is Brimpton House, a seat of the Earl of Westmoreland."
"ALVINGTON, a hamlet in the parish of Brimpton, in the hundred of Stone, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles to the W. of Yeovillage"
"HOUNDSTONE, a hamlet in the parish of Brimpton, county Somerset, 2 miles W. of Yeovillage"
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]