GENUKI Home page
Brimpton Brimpton     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - Brimpton

"BRIMPTON, a parish in the hundred of Stone, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles to the W. of Yeovillage Alvington and Houndstone are hamlets of this parish The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, of the value of £170, in the patronage of Mrs. Morris. The church, which is dedicated to St. Andrew, contains monuments of Sir John Sydenham, Bart., who died in 1626, and of other members of the same family, to whom the manor once belonged. The principal mansion is Brimpton House, a seat of the Earl of Westmoreland."

"ALVINGTON, a hamlet in the parish of Brimpton, in the hundred of Stone, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles to the W. of Yeovillage"

"HOUNDSTONE, a hamlet in the parish of Brimpton, county Somerset, 2 miles W. of Yeovillage"

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]