Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Brompton Regis
"BROMPTON REGIS, a parish in the hundred of Williton and Freemanners, in the county of Somerset, 3 miles to the N.E. of Dal Kerton. It lies at the south foot of Brendon Hill, on the banks of the river Exe, and contains the site of a Dominican priory, founded in the reign of Henry IT., and valued at the Dissolution at about £99. Brompton was anciently a hundred and a market town. (good building stone is abundant in the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, of the value of £400, in the gift of the Master and Fellows of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains a carved screen. Cattle fairs are held in May and October, each lasting four days."
"BURY, a hamlet in the parish of Brompton Regis, hundred of Williton and Freemanners, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles to the E. of Dulverton. There is a Roman entrenched camp near this village, which is called Bury Castle.
BUSSEX, a hamlet in the parish of Weston Zoyland, hundred of Whitley, in the county of Somerset, 3 miles to the S.E. of Bridgwater. It is near the river Parret, on the Bristol and Exeter railway."
"WOOLCOT, a hamlet in the parish of Brompton Regis, hundred of Williton, county Somerset, 4 miles N.E. of Dulverton, and 15 S.W. of Minehead, near the confluence of the Barle with the river Exe."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]