GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Bruton

"BRUTON, a parish and market town in the hundred of Bruton, in the county of Somerset, 12 miles to the S.E. of Wells, and 126 miles to the S.W. of London. It is a station on the Wilts, Somerset, and Weymouth section of the Great Western railway. The parish includes the chapelries of Redlynch and Wyke-Champflower, and the tything of Discove. This place is mentioned in the Norman Survey by the name of Brumetone. The manor was a royal demesne before the Conquest, and was also held by William the Conqueror. About the year 1005 a monastery was founded here by Algar, Earl of Cornwall, for monks of the Benedictine order, which was subsequently converted into a Dominican priory by William do Mohun. Shortly before the Dissolution it was raised to the rank of an abbey, and had a revenue of £481." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Church Records

Description and Travel

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 30th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.