GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Buckland St Mary

"BUCKLAND ST. MARY, a parish in the hundred of Abdick and Bulstone, in the county of Somerset, 6 miles to the W. of Ilminster. It is on the borders of Devonshire, and extends into the hundreds of Martock and South Petherton. On the W. side of the parish are Blackdown Hill, on which are the remains of an old camp, called Neroche Castle, and not far off the mounds of stones called Robin Hood's Butts. Some military relics have been found in the district. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £343, in the gift of F. L. Popham, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 30th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.