Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Butleigh
"BUTLEIGH, a parish in the hundred of Whitley, in the county of Somerset, 4 miles to the S.E. of Glastonbury, its post town, which is also a station on the Somerset Central railway. The parish includes the hamlet of Butleigh-Wootton. Blue has is abundant in the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value with the perpetual curacy of Baltonsborough annexed, £380, in the patronage of the Hon. R. N. Grenville. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard, and contains a monument to the Hood family, who hold the manor of Wootton. Butleigh House is the principal residence."
"BUTLEIGH-WOOTTON, a hamlet in the parish of Butleigh, hundred of Whitley, in the county of Somerset, 3 miles to the N.E. of Somerton. Here is the seat of the Hon. A. Hood, lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]