GENUKI Home page
Butleigh Butleigh     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - Butleigh

"BUTLEIGH, a parish in the hundred of Whitley, in the county of Somerset, 4 miles to the S.E. of Glastonbury, its post town, which is also a station on the Somerset Central railway. The parish includes the hamlet of Butleigh-Wootton. Blue has is abundant in the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value with the perpetual curacy of Baltonsborough annexed, £380, in the patronage of the Hon. R. N. Grenville. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard, and contains a monument to the Hood family, who hold the manor of Wootton. Butleigh House is the principal residence."

"BUTLEIGH-WOOTTON, a hamlet in the parish of Butleigh, hundred of Whitley, in the county of Somerset, 3 miles to the N.E. of Somerton. Here is the seat of the Hon. A. Hood, lord of the manor."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.