Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"CAMERTON, a parish in the hundred of Wellow, in the county of Somerset, 6 miles to the S.W. of Bath, its post town. The Radford canal crosses the parish. Coal is found here. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £481, in the patronage of J. Jarrett, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is partly covered with ivy, and stands in a churchyard very prettily laid out and planted. The Wesleyans and Baptists have chapels in the village. Camerton Park is the seat of the Jarrett family." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
References in the British Library:
- Excavations at Camerton, Somerset. A record of thirty years' excavation covering the period from neolithic to saxon times, 1926-56, etc.. pp. xvii. 284. pl. XXIII. Camerton Excavation Club: [Bath,] 1958.
- St John the Baptist, Church Road, Peasedown St John, Church of England
- St Peter, Skinners Hill, Church of England
- Peasedown St John Methodist Church, Bath Road, Peasedown St John, Methodist
- Peasedown Christadelphian Church, Belle Vue Close, Peasedown St John, Christadelphian
- St Joseph, Ashgrove, Peasedown St John, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Camerton area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Camerton which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST680570 (Lat/Lon: 51.311154, -2.460516), Camerton which are provided by: