GENUKI Home page
Cannington Cannington     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - Cannington

"CANNINGTON, a parish in the hundred of the same name, in the county of Somerset, 3 miles to the N.W. of Bridgwater, its post town. It lies on the W. side of the navigable river Parret, and contains the hamlets of Edstock and Beer. The Saxon name of this very ancient and once important place was Caninganmaersees. It was the site of a Benedictine nunnery, founded by Robert de Courcy about 1140, which was valued at the Dissolution at about £40. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £371, in the patronage of Lord Clifford. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. It is in the perpendicular style, and has some monuments to the Cliffords, who anciently resided here. The poor have the benefit of a valuable endowment, founded by Mr. Rogers, and producing about £330 per annum, which is partly applied to the support of almshouses. There are other charities amounting to about £30 a year. The manor of Cannington is held by Lord Clifford."

"BEER, a hamlet in the parish and hundred of Cannington, in the county of Somerset, 3 miles N.W. of Bridgewater. It is situated near the river Parret, and was the site of a Benedictine nunnery founded in the reign of King Stephen."

"EDSTOCK, a hamlet in the parish and hundred of Cannington, county Somerset, 3 miles N.W. of Bridgwater."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]