GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Towns and Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Cannington

"CANNINGTON, a parish in the hundred of the same name, in the county of Somerset, 3 miles to the N.W. of Bridgwater, its post town. It lies on the W. side of the navigable river Parret, and contains the hamlets of Edstock and Beer. The Saxon name of this very ancient and once important place was Caninganmaersees. It was the site of a Benedictine nunnery, founded by Robert de Courcy about 1140, which was valued at the Dissolution at about £40. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £371, in the patronage of Lord Clifford. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. It is in the perpendicular style, and has some monuments to the Cliffords, who anciently resided here. The poor have the benefit of a valuable endowment, founded by Mr. Rogers, and producing about £330 per annum, which is partly applied to the support of almshouses. There are other charities amounting to about £30 a year. The manor of Cannington is held by Lord Clifford." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Church Records

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 30th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]