Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Carhampton
"CARHAMPTON, a parish in the hundred of the same name, in the county of Somerset, 1 mile from Dunster, its post town. It is situated on the S. coast of the Bristol Channel, and contains the hamlet of Rodhuish. It is a very ancient place, and has given name to the hundred Its Saxon name was Carumtune. Petty sessions are held in the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £182, in the patronage of J. F. Luttrell, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. There is a small bequest by Richard Escott for education."
"HUISH-ROAD, a chapelry in the parish and hundred of Carhampton, county Somerset, 4 miles S.E. of Dunster."
"RODHUISH, a hamlet and chapelry in the parish of Carhampton, county Somerset, 4 miles S.W. of Watchet, and 3 S.E. of Dunster, near the Bristol Channel. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Carhampton, in the diocese of Bath and Wells."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]