GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Charlton Horethorne

"CHARLTON-HORETHORNE, a parish in the hundred of Horethorne, in the county of Somerset, 5 miles S.W. of Wincanton, and 5 S.E. of the Sparkford station on the Great Western railway. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £384, in the patronage of the Marquis of Anglesea. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, is an ancient stone edifice, partly in the perpendicular style, and at one period was attached to the priory of Kenilworth. It was restored in 1846. The register dates from 1734. The Wesleyans have a place of worship, and there is a National school for both sexes. The charities amount to about £11 per annum. This village was anciently a market town. The County Court for Wincanton district is held here." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 30th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.