Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Charlton Mackrell
"CHARLTON MACKRELL, (or West Charlton), a parish in the hundred of Somerton, in the county of Somerset, 5 miles E. of Langport, and 3 E. of Somerton station on the North-West section of the Great Western railway. It is situated on the river Cary, near the Roman Fosseway to Ilchester, which is 4 miles distant, and contains the hamlets of Cary-Fitzpaine and Lytes-Cary. The living is a rectory's in the diocese of Bath and Welts, value £499, in the patronage of James S. and John Brymer, Esqrs. The church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, is an ancient stone edifice in the perpendicular style, recently restored. The register commences as early as 1550. There is a National school for both sexes, erected by the late James Brymer, Esq., endowed with £45 per annum. The walls of the interior of the building are tastefully fitted up with coloured tiles. The lord of the manor is F. H. Dickinson, Esq. An ancient mansion, with a chapel annexed, stands at Lytes-Cary.
"CARY-FITZPAINE, a hamlet in the parish of Charlton-Mackrell, hundred of Somerton, in the county of Somerset, 3 miles to the N.W. of Ilchester. It is seated on the banks of the river Cary."
"LYTESCARY, a hamlet in the parish of Charlton Mackrell, county Somerset, in the vicinity of Somerton."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]