GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Charlton Mackrell

"CHARLTON MACKRELL, (or West Charlton), a parish in the hundred of Somerton, in the county of Somerset, 5 miles E. of Langport, and 3 E. of Somerton station on the North-West section of the Great Western railway. It is situated on the river Cary, near the Roman Fosseway to Ilchester, which is 4 miles distant, and contains the hamlets of Cary-Fitzpaine and Lytes-Cary. The living is a rectory's in the diocese of Bath and Welts, value £499, in the patronage of James S. and John Brymer, Esqrs. The church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, is an ancient stone edifice in the perpendicular style, recently restored. The register commences as early as 1550. There is a National school for both sexes, erected by the late James Brymer, Esq., endowed with £45 per annum. The walls of the interior of the building are tastefully fitted up with coloured tiles. The lord of the manor is F. H. Dickinson, Esq. An ancient mansion, with a chapel annexed, stands at Lytes-Cary." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Church Records

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 2nd February 2014 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.