GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Charlton Musgrove

"CHARLTON MUSGROVE, a parish in the hundred of Norton-Ferris, in the county of Somerset, 1 mile N.E. of the Wincanton station of the Central Dorset branch line, which passes through the parish, and 4 S. of the Bruton station of the Somerset and Weymouth line. It is situated on the river Cale and the road to Bath. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £463, in the patronage of the Rev. Paul Leir. The church, dedicated to St. Stephen, is a stone edifice, built in the time of Henry VI., and possesses a handsome tower. The register dates from 1534. The Baptists have a place of worship, and there is a National school for both sexes. This was the birthplace of Musgrave the antiquary." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Bibliography

References in the British Library:

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 30th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]