GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Chew Magna

"CHEW MAGNA, (or Bishop's Chew), a parish in the hundred of Chew, in the county of Somerset, 7 miles S. of Bristol. The parish is watered by a branch of the Avon, and includes the tythings of Bishop-Sutton, Knowle, Knighton-Sutton, North Elm, and Stone. This village was formerly a borough, and had an extensive woollen manufactory. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value with the curacy of Holy Trinity annexed, £634, in the patronage of the bishop and others in turn. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, was restored in 1860. It is an ancient stone edifice, with several monuments, stained-glass windows, and a register commencing in 1562. There is a chapel of ease at Bishop-Sutton, and a district church in the peculiar of Dundry, the living of which is a perpetual curacy in the gift of the vicar. The Wesleyans and Baptists have places of worship. There is a school for boys, with a small endowment. The value of the charities is about £35 per annum. Sutton Court, the beautiful residence of Sir E. Strachey, has been lately restored. It is very ancient, a portion of the building being of the period of Edward III. It was here that Bishop Hosper, and John Locke, the philosopher, were frequent guests of their friend, John Strachey. There are other fine residences, amongst which may be mentioned The Firs and Chew Court. At Bishop-Sutton are several coalpits. Here is a reservoir belonging to the Bristol Water Company. " From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 30th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.