"CHEWTON-MENDIP, a parish in the hundred of Chewton, in the county of Somerset, 5 miles N.E. of Wells, and 7½ N.W. of Shepton Mallett. It is situated under the Mendip hills. There are several lead-mines and stone quarries in the parish. About the year 1745 part of the common was enclosed and set apart for the support of a school, the rent of which is now £20 per annum. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £540, with the parochial chapelries of Emborough, Farrington-Gurney, and Stone-Easton annexed, in the patronage of R. P. Philpott, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, is an ancient stone edifice, with a beautiful tower of Henry VII.'s period. The register commences in the year 560. The Wesleyan Reformers have a place of worship, as also the Wesleyan Methodists at Edgehill. There is a National school for boys and girls. The charities amount to £10 per annum. The river Chew rises in this parish, and from here the Bristol waterworks are supplied. The lady of the manor is Frances Countess of Waldegrave."
"NORTH WIDCOMBE, a tything in the parish of Chewton-Mendip, hundred of Chewton, county Somerset, 5 miles S.W. of Pensford, and 8 N.E. of Wells.