GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Chilcompton

"CHILCOMPTON, a parish in the hundred of Chewton, in the county of Somerset, 6 miles N.E. of Shepton Mallett, and 7 N.E. of Wells. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £129, in the patronage of H. S. W. Tooker, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. John, was rebuilt in 1839, and is in the pointed style of architecture. The register commences in 1685. Here is a Wesleyan chapel, and a parochial school for both sexes. Henry Werret in 1681 left £100, the interest whereof to be applied for apprenticing poor boys of the parish, and about 30s. per annum to be distributed in bread to the poor. The lord of the manor is the Marquis of Bath. Near Blacker's Hill are the traces of a Roman camp." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Bibliography

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 30th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]