Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"CLEVEDON, a parish in the hundred of Portbury, in the county of Somerset, 11 miles W. of Bristol. It is a railway station of the Great Western line, and is resorted to in summer as a pleasant watering-place. The town is situated on the cliffs at the mouth of the river Severn, commanding a fine view of the channel. It was called Clevedun by the Saxons, from the cliff (cleve) terminating at this point in a valley (dun). It contains a lecture-hall, public baths, numerous hotels and boarding-houses, and is well lighted with gas." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
References in the British Library:
- Clevedon, Somerset, etc. [various editions, 1910 etc.]
- Clevedon Baptist Church, Station Road, Baptist
- All Saints, All Saints Lane, East Clevedon, Church of England
- Christ Church, Chapel Hill, Church of England
- Church in the School, c/o St John the Evangelist Prim. School, Fosseway, Church of England
- St Andrew, Church Close, Church of England
- St John the Evangelist, Queen's Road, Church of England
- St Mary, Castle Road, Walton, Church of England
- St Peter, Alexandra Road, Church of England
- Linden Road Methodist Church, Lower Linden Road, Methodist
- Clevedon Cemetery, Old Church Road, Cemetery
- Copse Road Chapel, Seavale Road, Evangelical Free Church
- (unknown dedication), Hill Road, Other
- Salvation Army, Old Street, Salvation Army
- Clevedon URC, Hill Road, United Reformed
- The Immaculate Conception, Marine Hill, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Clevedon area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Clevedon which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Clevedon has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST390710 (Lat/Lon: 51.434651, -2.878954), Clevedon which are provided by: