GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Clevedon

"CLEVEDON, a parish in the hundred of Portbury, in the county of Somerset, 11 miles W. of Bristol. It is a railway station of the Great Western line, and is resorted to in summer as a pleasant watering-place. The town is situated on the cliffs at the mouth of the river Severn, commanding a fine view of the channel. It was called Clevedun by the Saxons, from the cliff (cleve) terminating at this point in a valley (dun). It contains a lecture-hall, public baths, numerous hotels and boarding-houses, and is well lighted with gas." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Bibliography

References in the British Library:

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 30th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]