GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Cloford

"CLOFORD, a parish in the hundred of Frome, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles from the Wanstrow station of the Great Western railway, and 4 S.W. of Frome. It is situated on the Frome and Bruton high-road. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value 174, in the patronage of the Rev. J. S. Horner. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a stone edifice in the old Norman style of architecture, recently restored, and possesses a register dating from 1564. There is a National and Sunday school. Harris' charity, value £46 per annum, is paid annually to women born in the parish and married the preceding year. The lord of the manor is the Rev. J. S. Horner." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 30th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.