GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Clutton

"CLUTTON, a parish in the hundred of Chew, in the county of Somerset, 9 miles S. of Bristol, and 12 W. of Bath. The projected railway to Bristol will have a station at Clutton. This is a polling place for the eastern division of the county of Somerset. The workhouse of the Clutton Union is situated in this parish, which gives name to the new County Court, though the latter is situate at Temple Cloud, a hamlet in the adjoining parish of Camely. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the neighbouring collieries and stone-quarries. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £340, in the patronage of the Earl of Warwick. The church, dedicated to St. Augustine, is an ancient Norman edifice, with a modern tower. The Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Independents have places of worship, and there is a National school for both sexes. The charities produce about £30 per annum. The sum of £300 left for the endowment of a free school was taken by the churchwardens to build the church tower in 1728. Since that time £20 per annum has been paid by the parish from church property, to the National school. The lord of the manor is the Earl of Warwick." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 30th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]