Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Compton Dando
"COMPTON DANDO, a parish in the hundred of Keynsham, in the county of Somerset, 7 miles from Bristol, its post town, 8 from Bath, and 3 from the Keynsham railway station. It is situated on the river Chew, and contains the townships of Tucking-Mills and Woolard. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £180, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small edifice in the Gothic style, with square tower. The Wesleyans have a place of worship, and there is a National school. The charities produce about £75 per annum, being the rent of the church lands. There are traces in the parish of the Wandsdyke."
"TUCKING-MILLS, a hamlet in the parish of Compton Dando, county Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Keynsham."
"WOOLARD, a hamlet in the parishes of Compton Dando and Publow, county Somerset, 5 miles S.E. of Bristol."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]