GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Compton Dundon

"COMPTON DUNDON, a parish in the hundred of Whitfey, in the county of Somerset 5 miles N.E. of Langport and 5 miles S. of the Glastonbury railway station. It is situated near the river Carey, and contains the townships of Compton Dundon, and Littleton. The manor anciently belonged to the Beauchamps. It received the suffix to its name from a lofty hill called Dundon Beacon. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £201, in the patronage of the Bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient stone edifice in the Gothic style of architecture. The register dates from 1682. The annual value of the charities is about £5. Here is a Sunday school. Lord Ilchester is lord of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 30th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]