GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Compton Martin

"COMPTON MARTIN, a parish in the hundred of Chewton, in the county of Somerset, 8 miles N. of Wells, 9 from the Yatton railway station, and 11 from Bristol, its post town. It is situated to the N. of the Mendip hills, and anciently belonged to Martin de Tours, from whom it received the suffix to its name. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £494, in the patronage of Mrs. Hardwicke. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a fine stone edifice, and has a chapel annexed belonging to Bickfield Farm. There is a parochial school for both sexes, and a Sunday school. The charities produce about £10 per annum. The lord of the manor is John Henniker, Esq. Bickfield Farm is a chapelry of this parish." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 30th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.