GENUKI Home page
Cucklington Cucklington     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - Cucklington

"CUCKLINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Norton-Ferris, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles E. of Wincanton, its post town and railway station, and 11 from Sherborne. It contains the township of Clapton-Forms. The village was once a market town, but is much decayed. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value with the rectories of Stoke-Trister and Bayford, £609, in the patronage of William Phelips, Esq., who is lord of the manor. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, is an ancient structure, in the early English style, consisting of nave, transept, aisles, chancel, porch, tower, and spire. The charities amount to £29 per annum. There is an endowed school, in which a Sunday-school is also held. An annual fair is held on Ascension Day."

"CLAYPON FORMS, a hamlet in the parish of Cucklington, in the hundred of Norton Ferris, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles E. of Wincanton."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.