GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Curry Rivel

"CURRY RIVEL, a parish in the hundred of Abdick, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Langport station, and 5 N.W. of South Petherton. It is situated to the S. of the river Parret. Burton Pynsent was once the seat of Earl Chatham. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value with the curacy of Weston, 310, in the patronage of William Speke, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a handsome stone edifice in the early English style and consists of nave, chancel, porch, and tower, with clock and five bells. The charities amount to 28 per annum. There is a day school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is held. There are blue lias and limestone quarries. Arundel Yoe, Esq., is lord of the manor. Fairs are held on the first two Mondays in August." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson  2003

Archives and Libraries

Bibliography

Census

Church Records

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.

[Last updated 24th October 2014 by Malcolm Daniels]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.