Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Ditcheat
"DITCHEAT, a parish in the hundred of Whitstone, in the county of Somerset, 4½ miles S. of Shepton-Mallet, and 2½ N.W. of Castle Cary station. It is situated on the river Brue, and contains, Lottisham, Alhampton, and Wraxall. A silk-mill employs more than 50 persons. The old Roman Fosse Way skirts the parish on the N.W. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £775, in the patronage of the Rev. W. Leir. The church, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, is in the early English style of architecture, and is built of blue lias stone. It consists of nave, transept, aisles, porch, and tower with six bells and a clock. There is a Wesleyan chapel, and a free school for both sexes. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £775. There is a petrifying spring near this place. A farmer, named Williams, was born here in 1765 without arms; he dressed, wrote, cut his hay, &c., with his feet."
"ALHAMPTON, a tything in the parish of Ditcheat, hundred of Whitstone, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles to the N.W. of Castle Cary. It is near the river Brue, and had formerly a chapel."
"LOTTISHAM, a tything in the parish of Ditcheat, county Somerset, 2 miles N. of Castle Cary."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]