GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Dowlish Wake

"DOWLISH-WAKE, a parish in the hundred of South Petherton, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles S. of Ilminster, its post town, and 4 N.E. of Chard. It was formerly possessed by the Wake family, and was consolidated with West Dowlish in 1828. A canal has been cut communicating with Chard and the Bristol Channel. The manufacture of silk which was formerly carried on here is discontinued. Limestone is extensively quarried. The living is a rectory with that of West Dowlish annexed, in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £356, in the patronage of W. Speke, Esq., who is lord of the manor. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. The gallery was erected in 1837, when the church was restored. The register commences about 1600. There are National and Sunday schools." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 10th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.