GENUKI Home page
Drayton Drayton     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - Drayton

"DRAYTON, a parish in the hundred of Abdick, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of the Langport station on the Bristol and Exeter line, and 8 N.E. of Ilminster. Taunton is its post town. It is situated on the river Ile, near its confluence with the Parret, and contains the hamlets of Middleney, Burton-Pynsent, Wick, and Westover. Limestone is quarried for building purposes and for burning into lime. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £97, in the patronage of R. T. Combe, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Catherine, is an ancient stone edifice with embattled tower and fine Norman porch. The register commences in 1558. The charities are of small amount. There: is a parochial school for boys and girls, and a Sunday-school."

"MIDDLENEY, a tything in the parish of Drayton, hundred of Abdick, county Somerset, 2½ miles S.W. of Langport. It is situated on the small river Isle."

"WEEK, (or Wick), a tything in the parishes of Curry-Rivel and Drayton, county Somerset, 1 mile S.W. of Langport.

"WESTOVER, a hamlet in the parish of Drayton, county Somerset, near Langport."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.