Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Dulverton
"DULVERTON, a parish and market town in the hundred of Williton, in the county of Somerset, 13 miles N.W. of Tiverton railway station, and 25 S.W. of Bridgwater. It is situated in a vale on the river Barle. The manor formerly belonged to the crown, but by Edward I. was bestowed upon the Pyne family, and afterwards possessed by the Babingtons and Sydenhams. The town is small but well built. It is a polling-place, and petty sessions are held monthly. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in husbandry and the manufacture of crape. The neighbourhood is celebrated as the resort of the red deer and for its field sports and fishing. The Devon and Somerset stag-hounds are kennelled in the neighbourhood. There are some chalybeate springs, and lead is obtained.
Dulverton is the head of a Poor-law Union embracing 12 parishes. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £375, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a stone structure in the early English style of architecture, restored in the year 1853, with tower and clock. It contains monuments of the Sydenham family. The parochial charities produce about £57 per annum. The Independents have a chapel; and there is an endowed school, erected in 1863. The Earl of Carnarvon, whose seat is Pixton Park, is lord of the manor. Saturday is market day. Fairs are held on the 10th July and 8th November for cattle and sheep, and a great market on the last Saturday but one in September. The proposed line of railway from Taunton to Ilfracombe will afford easy access to the neighbourhood."
"COMBE HOLLAM, a hamlet in the parish of Dulverton, in the county of Somerset, 1 mile N.E. of Dulverton. It is situated on the river Ex."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]