GENUKI Home page
Dunkerton Dunkerton     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - Dunkerton

"DUNKERTON, a parish in the hundred of Wellow, in the county of Somerset, 4 miles N.E. of Radstock, and 5 S.W. of Bath, its post town and nearest railway station. It is situated on the Kennet and Avon canal, and contains the hamlets of Carlingcott and Tunley. The surface is hilly, and the high ground commands some extensive and interesting views. Coal exists, and several mines are worked. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £420, in the patronage of the Rev. F. Sodden. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a stone structure, with tower and antique porch. The register commences in 1728. The Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists have places of worship. There are a National and Sunday schools."

"CARLINGCOTT, a hamlet partly in the parish of Dunkerton, and partly in that of Camerton, hundred of Wellow, in the county of Somerset, 4 miles to the S.W. of Bath."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]