GENUKI Home page
East Brent East Brent     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - East Brent

"EAST BRENT, a parish in the hundred of Brent-cum-Wrington, in the county of Somerset, 5 miles to the W. of Axbridge. Weston-super-Mare is its post town. It is pleasantly situated near the coast of the Bristol Channel, and contains the hamlets of Edingworth and Rook's Bridge. The Bristol and Exeter railway passes through the parish To the S. of the village is Brent Knoll, an insulated conical hill, rising about 500 feet above the level of the sea, and on the summit of which are remains of an ancient camp with a double rampart. Near it have been found many Roman coins, urns, parts of weapons, and other relics. A spot on the Knoll still bears the name Battleborough. The view from the top of the hill is magnificent, including the Quantocks to the S.W., the town of Bridgwater, the Bristol Channel, with the mountains of South Wales; and to the N., Brean Down, Bleadon Hill, and the Mendip range.

The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, of the annual value of £902, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, which stands on the rise of the hill, is large and handsome, with a square tower, surmounted by a spire 90 feet in height. It contains some good stained glass, and is dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin. There are three niches on the west face of the tower, with sculptures of our Lord in his humiliation and in his glory. The church once belonged to the abbey of Glastonbury, to which it was given by Ini, and the abbots had a seat here, which was taken down about the commencement of the 18th century. There are some small charities.

"EDINGWORTH, a hamlet in the parish of East Brent, county Somerset, 5 miles S.W. of Axbridge. Hero was formerly an alien priory of Benedictine monks, forming a cell to the Abbey of St. Sever in Normandy. The lands were granted by Edward IV. to Eton College."

"ROOKSBRIDGE, a hamlet in the parish of East Brent, county Somerset, 4 miles S.W. of Axbridge."

"WEEK, (or Wick), a hamlet in the parish of East Brent, county Somerset, 7 miles S.W. of Axbridge, on the Great Western railway.

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]