GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

East Harptree

"EAST HARPTREE, a parish in the hundred of Winterstoke, county Somerset, 9 miles N. of Wells station, on the East Somerset railway, and 12 S. of Bristol, its post town. It is situated N. of the Mendip hills, and contains the hamlet of Coley. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £106, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is an ancient stone structure in the Gothic style of architecture, with tower containing clock and five hells. It is dedicated to St. Lawrence, and has a monument with recumbent effigy of Sir John Newton, dated 1568. The parochial charities produce about £90 per annum. The register commences in 1661. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a parochial school with a small endowment. The Countess Waldegrave is lady of the manor. Harptree Court is the principal residence." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 10th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]